My favorite season is Fall/Winter, and with Fall upon us in South Africa, it’s time to dig out our darker make-up products.
For today’s blog post, I’ve collaborated with Jessica from Just A City Girl Blog, to bring you our Fall Lipstick Edit.
1. LA Girl Flat Finish Pigment Gloss – Rebel Now, I don’t know why the name suggests this is a gloss, because it dries completely matte. It’s really, really drying on the lips and can settle into fine lines/texture, thus making lines/texture more apparent. I found a way around it though, that personally works well for me. I apply a lip primer/balm before I apply this, and it goes on much smoother on my lips and doesn’t feel as dry. I then just use a tissue/blotting paper to blot it lightly, as the lip balm can make this lipstick transferable. I adore this shade. It is a beautiful berry color and is apparently a great dupe for Dose Of Colors Berry Me. There are 16 shades to choose from. They retail for R59.99 each at Dis-chem stores.
2. Yardley Long Wear Stayfast Lipstick – Sienna This a beautiful brick brown shade. It has a slight red undertone but looks pretty with a chocolate colored smokey eye. It’s not matte or transfer proof, unfortunately, but it does lasts for about 3.5 hours before fading. It feels really comfortable and creamy when applying and doesn’t tug on the lips. I’m not sure how many colors these come in, but there are a few. They retail for R108 from Dis-chem and Clicks stores.
3. NYX Liquid Suede – Soft SpokenWho said you can’t wear nude lipsticks in Fall? I usually wear this shade when I’m wearing orangey eye shadows, just to balance the look out. The formula dries matte and is transfer proof. It feels very comfortable on my lips and I definitely want to pick up more shades. It does, however, fade quite fast. When I eat and drink it faded within 4 hours on me. It does so gracefully though, so I don’t mind. NYX products are exclusively available from Clicks stores. These come in a variety of shades and retail for R149.95 each.
4. LA Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick – Bite Me A slight deep red color. The name states that this is a matte lipstick, but it is semi-matte. It does not dry down completely and does transfer. However, that can easily be solved by using a tissue (1 ply) , putting it on your lips, dusting some translucent powder over it, and voila! The lipstick will last a bit longer and won’t transfer as quickly. I do like these lipsticks, especially since they are under R100. They don’t dry out the lips and there are some really beautiful shades available. I have 4 shades from this range, and I enjoy all of them. Like I said, these come in a bunch of colors. They retail for R59.95 each. LA Girl Products are available exclusively at Dischem stores.
5. Colourpop Ultra Satin – TansyPlease excuse how gross the outer packaging looks. Coloupop’s logo fades off their lip products SO fast, it’s really annoying! This is one of those lipsticks that doesn’t look like much in the tube, but man oh man, it is beautiful on the lips! It is my absolute favorite brown lipstick. The color looks amazing with pretty much any makeup look I’m doing. It applies beautifully opaque and last for about 5 hours, even through eating and drinking. I want to buy a back up of this shade, in case it gets discontinued. Colourpop is available from Samika, Best Beauty Buys, or directly from the Colourpop website. They retail for $6 each, but when buying through a third-party seller, they go for R150 – R200 each.
7. Anastasia Beverly Hills Fall Lipgloss – Carla As some of you might know, I’m not a lip gloss fan. At all. But during Winter my lips do tend to get a bit drier, and wearing matte lip products all the time does not help at all. If I feel my lips need some more hydration, I will opt for a gloss. Sometimes I will apply a matte lipstick first, and the gloss on top. That way I just dot the gloss on and it doesn’t appear too shiny. I will write a full review on this product soon, so I won’t say too much now. I received this gloss from Pink Cosmetics – thank you, Janet – but they are available directly from the Anastasia Beverly Hills website, Pink Cosmetics, Samika and Muse SA.
7. Kylie Cosmetics Koko Kollection – GorgThis lipstick is a Gorg burgundy color. It applies so smoothly and dries completely matte. The first application can often be a bit patchy, because of how dark the color is. It needs 2 layers to be fully opaque. I expected 2 layers to feel heavy or crumble throughout the day, but luckily it didn’t. It lasts for 5.5 hours. It does fade in the centre when eating, but I just reapply and I’m good to go. Kylie Koko Kollection can be purchased from Bare Beauty.
8. Jouer Liquid Lipstick – Noisette Another beautiful, brown nude shade that fits my skin perfectly. This formula is amazing. It feels so lightweight and I often forget I have anything on my lips at all. It’s extremely comfortable on my lips and I really want to get the shade Fraise Bonbon. It lasts for a little over 5 hours on me, and man, it doesn’t budge easily when trying to remove it. It doesn’t come off completely with a makeup wipe, so I use The Body Shop Chamomile Eye And Lip Makeup Remover. Only then does it come off completely. Jouer products are available from Fashion Police SA.
I know Fall makeup is usually darker colors, but there is no rules with makeup. If I feel like I want to wear a light brown nude in Fall, I simply do so. And if you want to wear a silver toned gloss/light nude/bright pink lipstick in Fall, then simply do so, and rock it.
There are another 2 products I’d like to make mention of:
1. Pink Cosmtics Yummy Sugar Lip Scrub This lip scrub is very gentle on my lips and smells so good. I exfoliate my lips once a week, but during Winter I do it twice a week. If you want your lipstick to apply smoothly, you need to exfoliate to get rid of all dead skin. You can read my full review of this product here.
It is available from Pink Cosmetics.
2. Kiki Beauty Rose Was Lip Balm After I remove my lip product(s) in Winter, I apply this lip balm to “rejuvenate” my lips. I also apply a little bit before bed. My lips are naturally drier in Winter, and this lip balm is my absolute favorite. Often in Winter my lips tend to crack and peel, but this product has worked wonders. It has a thick consistency and it soothes my lips instantly. I also started applying a small little bit (because it is quite thick) before applying lipstick. It just makes my lips feel so hydrated, soothed and comfortable. You can read my full review here. If you have extremely dry lips during Winter and as a result you cannot rock your lipsticks, you definitely need to get your hands on one of these.
They are available from Kikibeauty.
And that’s it from me, a round up of my favorite Fall Lip Products. Head over to Just A City Girl Blog, to read her Fall Lipstick Edit. Don’t forget to subscribe to our blogs and to show us some love on social media.